Realizing that women of the American West had been largely overlooked for their accomplishments, a visionary group led by Margaret C. Formby established the museum as the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame and Western Heritage Center in 1975 in the Texas Panhandle community of Hereford, about 40 miles southwest of Amarillo.
Its purpose was to preserve the history and impact of western women living roughly from the mid-1800s to the present -- the pioneers, the artists and writers, the tribal leaders, the entertainers, the social activists, and the modern ranchers and rodeo cowgirls.
Recognizing the increasing interest in the museum and the fact that the available audience for this important program was limited in the Hereford location, the board initiated a search in 1993 for alternative sites that promised greater audience exposure while simultaneously affording the opportunity for an expanded and improved public education program.
When Fort Worth community and business leaders learned of the possibility of moving the museum to Fort Worth, they sought to make it a reality. They knew that the museum would be a natural fit within the fabric of Fort Worth's rich western heritage. The new modern museum opened on June 9, 2002.
National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame
1720 Gendy Street
Fort Worth, Texas 76107